Tuesday, January 10, 2006


The Razor's Edge

Well, I am sporting a new fancy phone,...well, it's not new, it's used. It's in good shape, I know the previous owner,...it was my son. He had a much nicer phone than his parents, but he couldn't keep up with it. A few days ago there was a knock on the door and our house guest answered and a lady asked if anyone had lost a cell phone in our house. He said no, then thought to ask what kind of phone it was and asked to see it. The lady said it was a Motorola Razor(I know, I know, what kind of fool buys a Razor for his 13 year old,....an only child's parent, that's who), and Michael said, that's Holden's. She had found it sitting on the curb, where it had been for at least two days, possibly three. Well, I think I was more upset about it than Holden,...isn't that typical of kids today? But I guarantee, when I was a kid if it had been possible for me to lose something as valuable and cool as a cellphone, not to mention top of the line cellphone, I would have walked the streets every night all night long until I knew where it was. I would have worried myself into a record as the youngest person to have an MI. And I would have tried to cut a deal with my Mom and Dad to spare my life, if the MI didn't kill me. My son's reaction,...."Well, it only costs $30." I almost blacked out there was so much fury running thru my brain. I collected myslef and calmly explained, at the top of my lungs, how his phone on the black market in China probably costs more than $30. So, I had to do something. I had told him before that if he couldn't keep up with the phone that he would lose it either out right lose it himself somewhere or I would take it away. Well, we thought he had lost it for good, but when it turned up, I took it over, until he can prove that he can keep up with my bottom of the line, free with the plan phone. He was pretty decent about it. He told me where it was and proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't be too disappointed because the picture qualities on the phone were not that good, nor did it get good reception, nor was the sound quality very good. I told him that he should be happy because it sounded as if this wasn't a punishment nor teaching moment at all,...since he thinks he still has the superior phone(mine) because the razor was less than the cutting edge cellphone in his mind.

2 comments:

Jay said...

I'm a little confused. Holden now has the Razor (better) phone? Or the free-with-plan phone?

Regardless, I have to say that your post reminds me a little of myself and my son -- and a little of my brother and his kids, and really all "kids these days".

We haven't yet faced a cellphone situation like yours. (Parks only just turned 10.) But we have faced countless situations where he pleads and pleads for the latest, greatest game/toy/gadget/whatever and then a few short days (or hours) later it's cast aside or misplaced or otherwise lost its "newness."

My fear is we are raising an entire generation that has (1) never known want, (2) is slow to learn responsibility and accountability and (3) has learned an attitude of entitlement, expecting things (great things) to come easily and quickly at their demand.

Here's my plan for me and my family: Parks will earn a weekly allowance. (A meager, by today's standards, $5 which will increase with his age.) In return, he is expected to perform menial tasks around the house without complaining and, preferably, without being asked. (Clean his home, take the dog out, collect trash on garbage day, etc.) For additional income, he will help me work in the yard (raking leaves, mulching flower beds, etc.) The difficulty (and reward) of these tasks will also increase with his age. About two months into this plan and so far, so good.

His generation is not without hope. Two neighbors of ours are good examples: 11-year old Gavin cuts his own yard, as well as the yards of 3 other nearby neighbors and earns $200 a month in the summertime. 16-year old Michael walks more than a mile each way to the nearest Kroger grocery store where he has worked as a clerk for several months, saving up money to buy a "nice car." It's kids like Gavin and Michael that let me believe the future is bright.

Let's band together and make a pact not to give our kids luxury items with no strings attached. And along with the comforts of home and enjoyment of life, we instill in them an appreciation for patience, hard work and perseverance.

k2 said...

i've got the cell foam story if you want it.

so the razor has poor quality (insert cell foam attribute)? and where did you get a razor for $30? and are there more where that one came from?